SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Eastern Cape Rugby: Match Report: Kingswood vs Dale College
Monday, 02 June 2014 09:29

Rugby: Match Report: Kingswood vs Dale College

Kingswood met Dale on Saturday the 31st of May, 2014, in a hotly contested derby fixture. Despite the final score of 40-23 to Dale, the majority of the game was closely contested, and both sides created enough chances to win sway the initiative.  The overall story of the game is that Dale managed to seize their moments better than Kingswood.

 Dale College RugbyThe first half of the game was a bit disjointed.  Kingswood were rocked early on with injuries to flyhalf Hayden Potgieter and outside centre Somila Jho.  The reshuffled backline struggled to gain any cohesion, and this uncertainty seemed to permeate throughout the side.  Kingswood were unable to gain any momentum, or achieve any consistency in possession. Dale opened the scoring when their flyhalf (who was magnificent on the day) sliced through the midfield to set up a try out wide.  Kingswood were awarded a series of penalties, but Cameron Hertz was unable to convert any of the kicks.  Dale struck again midway through the half, when poor tackling allowed their flyhalf space through the middle again.  Kingswood were able to pull back a penalty by Hertz to close out the half 12-3 down.

The second half was completely different to the first, with both sides finding a better level of continuity, and consequently producing some very special rugby.  Kingswood drew first blood when Michael Braans stepped inside and cleverly drew the fullback before offloading to Cameron Hertz who went over close to the poles.  Unfortunately Hertz missed a regulation conversion.  Kingswood had the bit between their teeth and began exerting pressure on Dale.  A wonderful break by Davron Cameron was stopped, before Dale were penalised allowing Hertz to pull Kingswood back to 12-11.  A few minutes later, Kingswood were penalised on their 22, and went to sleep.  Dale did not kick for poles, but ran the ball and went over virtually unopposed.  They converted to push the score out to 19-11.  Kingswood were not finished yet though, and Devon Barnard broke through.  He was caught short, but the ball was recycled out to Ezra Mager, who went over in the corner.  Unfortunately, shortly after this, Dale scored again, pulling the Kingswood defence from one side of the park to the other, before going in under the poles.  They scored again shortly after, when the wing was caught short, but managed to pop the ball up for his support to score.  Once again Kingswood refused to lie down. Cannon broke and offloaded to Barnard who was brought down short of the line.  From the ruck, Fred Burchell strolled over for the easiest of tries.  Kingswood were back to 33-23.  Dale sealed the game in the final seconds when Kingswood lost it in the backline. Dale scooped up the loose ball and cantered through to make the final score 40-23.

Overall, it was a fantastic second half of rugby, and both teams looked capable of winning the game.  Dale managed to hold their nerve when Kingswood were piling on the pressure, and deservedly won the fixture.

Related items